May 14, 2010

A Walk by the River

Once there was a small house near a river bank. Three people lived in the house. A man his wife and his old father. The man was very happy with his wife and they had good life but his father was very old and sick and often was a trouble for them.

During day they had to serve him food and medicine and at night he used to cough up a lot. Making them not sleep properly. This routine kept on going for sometime.

One night the man and his wife discussed something in their room and then the man came out and asked his father to ride on his back.

The father asked "O my son where are you taking me to?"

The man replied "Dad! I want you to take out for a change since it's been long time you haven't seen the outside of the house".

The father was riding on back of his son tightly and the son started walking towards the river. The father thought his son would stop on edge of the river and let him enjoy the natural scene.

But the son entered into the river until he reached deep into the water, where it touched his chest.

The son was about to throw his father in the water that suddenly father asked his son to stop for a bit.

The son froze where he was.

The father said "O my son I know why and where you were going to take me, but before you throw me in the river I want to tell you something. The place where you are standing right now is exactly the place where I threw my father in the river. So please throw me in a little bit into deeper water, so when it comes your turn your son has to walk a little bit more...


"Thy Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: My Lord! Bestow on them Thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood. Your Lord knows best what is in your hearts: If you do deeds of righteousness, verily He is Most Forgiving to those who turn to Him again and again (in true penitence)"
[surah al-Isra: 23]

No comments: