June 4, 2011

This too shall pass

A Sufi village was attacked and captured by a group of warriors. The king of the victorious tribe called the Sufi leader and said that unless they could tell him what would make him “happy when he was sad, and sad when he was happy,” the entire village would be put to death the following morning.

The village people constructed a large bonfire, and all night long their wise men and women strove to answer the king’s question: What could make a person happy when he is sad, sad when he is happy? Finally, sunrise came and the king entered the village. Approaching the wise ones he asked, “Have you fulfilled my request?” One of the wise men then reached into a pouch and presented the king with a gold ring. The king was perplexed. “I have no need for gold,” he exclaimed. “How can this ring make me happy when I am sad, and sad when I am happy ?” The the king looked again and saw an inscription. It read “THIS TOO SHALL PASS.”

No comments: